Skip to main content

What's wrong with Delhi's restaurants

Yesterday, I ordered a Shawarma from Arabian Bites(4.2 ratings on Zomato) restaurant in Vasant Kunj, New Delhi. It was disappointing. Even greater a disappointment than the food at Diggin Café at C.P. on Sunday. It is a pity that even the popular cafes and restaurants can not satiate your taste buds the way they claim. The shawarma was bland. The wrap seemed stale and too thick. It appeared as if you are eating the Maida flour directly. Though the chicken was in good quantity, it did not help its taste.

The same fate was met on Sunday while eating at the Diggin Café at C.P. The place is hyped for its tasty food and ambiance. The ambiance was good but the food was below average. We ordered a Vegetarian Pizza and a Lamb burger along with a fresh lime soda with added sugar and salt.

The fresh lime soda came before the food. We had to get the drink replaced as it was laced with salt to the point of saturation. I could sip the salt through my straw. The waiter changed it on request and brought a new one with lesser salt and a degraded taste. We accepted it the way it was. 

Diggin Cafe C.P
Diggin Cafe C.P 

Then arrived a big pizza. It appeared to be baked well. We took out a slice each hurriedly owing to our hunger. It tasted ok at first but the reality struck soon. It was dry and bland. There was no juiciness and the pizza had been dried far beyond the sweet spot. In fact, the baker seemed to know how to make a thing look like pizza but not the real art of making a pizza.

Diggin Cafe Menu
Diggin Cafe Menu items we regret we ordered

We thought that the Burger would be better as making a good Pizza is not everyone’s forte. We failed to realize that making a good burger is also an Art. The Burger arrived along with its disappointment. It failed to appease even our eyes. The only good thing on the plate was the black Olives. The lamb patty broke at the first bite. It did not hold as a minced patty should. There was no hint of any sauce used. The bread was soft but contained no taste.

It was a disappointment as it is rare that we order a Burger when out eating. We avoid McDonald’s and KFC Burgers for health reasons. Even when we are dining out , Burger is never a first choice as there are plenty of other things to try. Diggin café took away our chance to relish a delicious Burger after a long time. I will never visit the place again lest someone throws a treat there. If they offer me free food I may still avoid going as I don’t want to eat a non-tasty meal just because it is free.

Biryani By Kilo and Disappointments by Tonne

Delhi restaurants are disappointing time and again. Finding a good place to eat is becoming a challenge. I have another notable mention of Biryani by Kilo. We ordered Haleem and Nihari on Eid Day. The perception was that they would be good in making Mutton delicacies owing to their expertise in Biryanis. We were let down big time. The Haleem was shit. Nihari was a little better but in the same spectrum. I could not fathom how a big brand can serve you non-palatable food. Behrouz Biryani on the contrary delivered a delicious Haleem I ordered a day before. I regret changing the restaurant for the same dish.

My trust in these big names is fast eroding. Delhi is a popular hub for cuisines from around the world. We have had good experiences with restaurants such as Kampai, a Japanese restaurant in Aerocity, Delhi. There were good options in Gurgaon too but highly expensive. We search for options that serve authentic food and charge reasonably. Dining out cannot bankrupt you unless you are drinking expensive champagne but the satisfaction of eating a tasty snack or cuisine that also doesn’t hurt your purse feels wonderful.

As I do not eat out every day so it is tough to taste each and everything. We end up relying on Google or Zomato reviews. They have deceived a greater number of times than they have helped. So, it is a mystery to actually find a good restaurant. I think word of mouth is the best way. Better rely on a friend who actually has good taste. Sanjeet’s recommendation of the restaurant in Khan Market was good. The kebabs were delicious but the chicken korma was too spicy.

The YouTube reviews are a waste as well. There are videos on YouTube promoting the Shawarma of Arabian Bites as the best you can find in the town. I think these YouTubers should stop vlogging. They may not have tasted a tasty shawarma ever.

Meanwhile, the search for the best food in Delhi will continue. We will keep trying new places referred by friends and relying less on online reviews and ratings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Journal of Life 27.04.23

  Habit Thoughts Exercise: My Religion Went to the Gym on cycle. Did 8 min walk on treadmill. Tried to run but the back felt uncomfortable so I dropped it. Then moved to the Weights Area for Arms day. 4 sets of Bicep Curl Extensions of medium weight. 4 sets of Seated Dumbell Curls. Medium weight but performed with rep cadence. 4 sets of Preacher EZ Bar Curls with medium weight. 1 set of Hammer Curl. 4 sets Seated Calf raises Went to the CrossFit section for banded mobilization of the left hip joint. I do 1 long hold of banded pigeon position in which the stretch of the band is strong and I open my hip joint to the best extent possible. It is indeed a great hip-opening manoeuvre. Later I did the usual McGill Big 3 followed by Shoulder rehabs. Then I did 7 pull-ups on the fat bar. I finished off the workout with 2 good sets of Barbell Glute bridges on the same platform I mentioned earlier. I closed...

Daily Journal of Life 10.05.2023

Thought of the day We are becoming ever more conscious of our health owing to the never seen before health issues we are fighting. Many lifestyle diseases are plaguing us that we knowingly and unknowingly invite into our lives. It has become ever more important to monitor our health as we have little physical activity left in our lives made easier by technology. Most jobs are desk-based and only a margin of professions now need physical work. Technology has made our lives sedentary. Some people are truly conscious and track down their health stats regularly. It is said that below 40 years of age one can get a yearly or bi-yearly check-up done for general health. After 40 the check-up should be more frequent. I prefer getting a yearly Blood work done just to check if any tweaking around the diet is required. Also, it gives you a peep into the working of your organs and general health. It can alarm you if there is something abnormal that needs working on. There are plenty of marker...

Daily Journal of Life 04.05.2023

Thought of the Day Indian Customs is facing a challenge due to the erratic functioning of a newly introduced Electronic Cash Ledger Wallet in the ICEGATE portal. This portal facilitates the trade to make Customs Duty payments for their Imported goods and on Exported goods where ever applicable. The wallet was introduced to improvise on the existing system of reporting the Duty collection figure at the end of the day to RBI. The intent was to help the trade by giving a facility to use their wallets for ease of duty payment and for real-time duty reconciliation for the RBI. The wallet was launched after due deliberations, discussions, and User Acceptance Testing by the vendor team maintaining the portal. However, post its launch the ECL got marred by multiple issues. The payments got almost paralyzed and there became a huge pile of transactions stuck in the system due to either Bank Payment failures or issues of integration of the pay...