Skip to main content

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo: A gist sans spoilers

 

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
7HoEH

I completed the darling of Novels of recent times “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo”. I took 2 days to complete this 400-page novel. Needless to say, the book was an easy read, gripping, riveting and scandalous. I wanted to drop the book halfway through but I kept reading. There were speed breakers in between where the book was a drag but at other parts, it was able to hook you. However, I enjoyed the book for its creativity, boldness, and the life of Evelyn Hugo which encompassed aspiration, stardom, charisma, love, deceit, rejection, heartbreak, success, conflict, and an array of emotions.

The book starts off by introducing Evelyn in her old age who reaches out for a journalist from a famous tabloid. The chosen female writer named Monique Grant is surprised by this request for she is hardly successful or noticed in public for her work. Still, she has been specifically named in the email from the team of Evelyn Hugo who wants her to interview Evelyn for the upcoming fundraising auction of her all-time famous dresses.

Monique is surprised and skeptical about her appointment. Nevertheless, she visits Evelyn for the piece. During the visit, she comes to know that she has been chosen by Evelyn not for a piece but she wants Monique to write a biography of her life that she wants to be published at a certain time. The profits of the book would all be Monique’s. Monique is startled and grows skeptical about the catch. But she agrees and does the task required of her.

During the course of 2 weeks that follow Evelyn opens her heart about her life starting from her teenage years onwards to making it to Hollywood and then to becoming a star who eventually wins Oscar. She goes on to be the most sought actress for sexuality and a gifted body that she portrays in the most sensual manner in the films that engrave her place as the most successful Hollywood actress.

The story tells the struggles of Evelyn through her failed marriages and flop movies to finding her place in Hollywood. It talks about her unconventional love story that she hides from the world for safeguarding her and her lover’s interests. The actions lead to complicated situations resulting in heartbreaks. She has to form alliances to be successful and the marriages become a way of managing her life and career.

She has a best friend in the industry named Harry Cameron who ends up being her 5th husband and also father to her daughter. Harry was the one who launched her in Hollywood and the one who never took advantage of her as others did for getting her a place in the industry.

The book develops characters vividly but it is the ability to show the richness of life events of the central characters that the book excels. The writer subtly places the opinions and thought frames through dialogues. Some of the quotes are plainly written but send across the truth effectively.

The book is a drag around 100-150 pages but rapidly builds the tempo after that. The language is plain and a fast read. The book has many curves that lead down to sadness but sprinkles hope and joy in moments where one least expects.

Towards the end the reason for choosing Monique as her biographer becomes evident which is a shock for Monique. She is at crossroads where she takes the story or leaves it. She is awed by Evelyn and despises her equally. This is all that I can share without leading trails of Spoilers. Read it if you enjoy reading Historical Fiction.

The later part of the book is emotionally charged and moves you. I liked the book and would give it 4 stars for the wonderful story. I won’t ever read it again but I am satisfied that I put my hands on it. I was neither happy nor disgusted at the end of the day when I finished it after reading nonstop. It felt like I gave 1 day of my life to a novel by Taylor Jenkins Read. So be it. I gained nothing. But it entertained me. I am a Non-Fiction person. I better stay there. Fiction is good but not fulfilling for me unless it is War and Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Journal of Life 27.04.23

  Habit Thoughts Exercise: My Religion Went to the Gym on cycle. Did 8 min walk on treadmill. Tried to run but the back felt uncomfortable so I dropped it. Then moved to the Weights Area for Arms day. 4 sets of Bicep Curl Extensions of medium weight. 4 sets of Seated Dumbell Curls. Medium weight but performed with rep cadence. 4 sets of Preacher EZ Bar Curls with medium weight. 1 set of Hammer Curl. 4 sets Seated Calf raises Went to the CrossFit section for banded mobilization of the left hip joint. I do 1 long hold of banded pigeon position in which the stretch of the band is strong and I open my hip joint to the best extent possible. It is indeed a great hip-opening manoeuvre. Later I did the usual McGill Big 3 followed by Shoulder rehabs. Then I did 7 pull-ups on the fat bar. I finished off the workout with 2 good sets of Barbell Glute bridges on the same platform I mentioned earlier. I closed...

Daily Journal of Life 10.05.2023

Thought of the day We are becoming ever more conscious of our health owing to the never seen before health issues we are fighting. Many lifestyle diseases are plaguing us that we knowingly and unknowingly invite into our lives. It has become ever more important to monitor our health as we have little physical activity left in our lives made easier by technology. Most jobs are desk-based and only a margin of professions now need physical work. Technology has made our lives sedentary. Some people are truly conscious and track down their health stats regularly. It is said that below 40 years of age one can get a yearly or bi-yearly check-up done for general health. After 40 the check-up should be more frequent. I prefer getting a yearly Blood work done just to check if any tweaking around the diet is required. Also, it gives you a peep into the working of your organs and general health. It can alarm you if there is something abnormal that needs working on. There are plenty of marker...

Daily Journal of Life 04.05.2023

Thought of the Day Indian Customs is facing a challenge due to the erratic functioning of a newly introduced Electronic Cash Ledger Wallet in the ICEGATE portal. This portal facilitates the trade to make Customs Duty payments for their Imported goods and on Exported goods where ever applicable. The wallet was introduced to improvise on the existing system of reporting the Duty collection figure at the end of the day to RBI. The intent was to help the trade by giving a facility to use their wallets for ease of duty payment and for real-time duty reconciliation for the RBI. The wallet was launched after due deliberations, discussions, and User Acceptance Testing by the vendor team maintaining the portal. However, post its launch the ECL got marred by multiple issues. The payments got almost paralyzed and there became a huge pile of transactions stuck in the system due to either Bank Payment failures or issues of integration of the pay...