Skip to main content

Speak less than it is necessary!

 


Often, we are engrossed in a debate where emotions take over the rationality of the usage of words. You forget that silence at times is the best antidote to increased conflict.

Today in the office my boss was questioning the drafting skills of a junior who committed an avoidable error on the draft. The English language, apart from Hindi, is the main medium of correspondence in central ministries. You need to be well versed in either of these to be able to conduct the official work. All juniors are supposed to put up drafts in the language of the correspondence.

But the junior was adamant in defending himself on why it was not his fault that the mistake happened. Boss further questioned each of his reasoning. He kept on giving witless responses. Finally, he ended up embarrassing himself.

What I learned from another story heard from P.B. today was that it is better to own up to your mistake than to defend it. He is true to his word as he practices it in real life too. I have seen him accept his mistakes and not give any silly rationale to cover up his shortcomings.

Thus, speak less than what is required. One- it will cut short unnecessary bullshit; two- it will give you a chance to learn more by listening more; three- you will be respected for your silence and be treated as a person of few but wise words.

What will happen to my Bar?

I am now sober for more than 4 months. I have no plans to stop being sober in the near future. It is said that removing the source of addiction can help you fight it. The first thing thus to ward off drinking is to remove the bottles from your home. If you want to quit smoking, not keeping cigarette packs at home helps.

For me, it was not required. I had a strong resolve to not look back till I had become the person I wanted to be. I was not addicted to drinking and only drank occasionally. But when I did, I would not stop easily. This created challenges for me emotionally and physically.

Now that I have gone sober, I often think about my bar. I have curated it over the years based on the parties we had at home. I have half-used bottles of different liquor in the bar. I think my friends can have them whenever they visit. I am even allowing them to take home my unopened bottles. But I will not allow them to take away my wine glasses, whiskey glasses, and shot glasses. They may come in handy in the future while hosting friends who enjoy drinks.

Exercise

Strength: Glute Day.



Rehab: Nothing today.

Cardio:  Running (Zone 2-3 Training)

0 mins for the Day. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Journal of Life 27.04.23

  Habit Thoughts Exercise: My Religion Went to the Gym on cycle. Did 8 min walk on treadmill. Tried to run but the back felt uncomfortable so I dropped it. Then moved to the Weights Area for Arms day. 4 sets of Bicep Curl Extensions of medium weight. 4 sets of Seated Dumbell Curls. Medium weight but performed with rep cadence. 4 sets of Preacher EZ Bar Curls with medium weight. 1 set of Hammer Curl. 4 sets Seated Calf raises Went to the CrossFit section for banded mobilization of the left hip joint. I do 1 long hold of banded pigeon position in which the stretch of the band is strong and I open my hip joint to the best extent possible. It is indeed a great hip-opening manoeuvre. Later I did the usual McGill Big 3 followed by Shoulder rehabs. Then I did 7 pull-ups on the fat bar. I finished off the workout with 2 good sets of Barbell Glute bridges on the same platform I mentioned earlier. I closed...

Daily Journal of Life 10.05.2023

Thought of the day We are becoming ever more conscious of our health owing to the never seen before health issues we are fighting. Many lifestyle diseases are plaguing us that we knowingly and unknowingly invite into our lives. It has become ever more important to monitor our health as we have little physical activity left in our lives made easier by technology. Most jobs are desk-based and only a margin of professions now need physical work. Technology has made our lives sedentary. Some people are truly conscious and track down their health stats regularly. It is said that below 40 years of age one can get a yearly or bi-yearly check-up done for general health. After 40 the check-up should be more frequent. I prefer getting a yearly Blood work done just to check if any tweaking around the diet is required. Also, it gives you a peep into the working of your organs and general health. It can alarm you if there is something abnormal that needs working on. There are plenty of marker...

Daily Journal of Life 04.05.2023

Thought of the Day Indian Customs is facing a challenge due to the erratic functioning of a newly introduced Electronic Cash Ledger Wallet in the ICEGATE portal. This portal facilitates the trade to make Customs Duty payments for their Imported goods and on Exported goods where ever applicable. The wallet was introduced to improvise on the existing system of reporting the Duty collection figure at the end of the day to RBI. The intent was to help the trade by giving a facility to use their wallets for ease of duty payment and for real-time duty reconciliation for the RBI. The wallet was launched after due deliberations, discussions, and User Acceptance Testing by the vendor team maintaining the portal. However, post its launch the ECL got marred by multiple issues. The payments got almost paralyzed and there became a huge pile of transactions stuck in the system due to either Bank Payment failures or issues of integration of the pay...