Skip to main content

Kangyatse - Learning the Ropes - 1

The expedition to Kang Yatse 1 and 2

It was a much-anticipated event for me being my first expedition of life post Basic Mountaineering Course and was an introduction to mountaineering.

I had been preparing for the expedition after the BMC and was in a fix on whether I  would be able to make it to the team given my official obligations. Getting a leave for 15 days just 50 days after a month-long leave was a challenge. Surprisingly, I was transferred mid-year which displaced me from Gurgaon. Joining a new place, I was not sure if I would get the leaves on the set dates. There was no time to prepare physically and mentally. It was not even known if the organizers were sure about us joining the team as the sanction of leaves from work was to be the deciding factor. It was a tough call to take.

All the haphazard planning and anticipation culminated in getting leaves sanctioned on time. For Manmeet, it was not much of a hassle and she even got her confirmation a bit earlier. For me, as usual, it was a last-minute confirmation with everything at stake.

In a happy mood, I started packing the equipment and my rucksack on the night of 4th July 2022. I had to catch a flight early in the morning at 5:30 AM. The flights to Leh usually fly early in the morning and the last flight is generally not later than 11:00 A.M. I did not want to miss out on 4-5 hours of my daytime in Leh. So I booked the earliest flight although I had a bad experience on the previous early morning flight.

Manmeet had reached Leh 2 days earlier to me to acclimatize better and get used to the surroundings. However, she had a work assignment for 4 days before starting off on the expedition. Still, she got a few days to adjust and acclimatize. I was stressed out before the start of the expedition due to my pending request for leaves.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Journal of Life 27.04.23

  Habit Thoughts Exercise: My Religion Went to the Gym on cycle. Did 8 min walk on treadmill. Tried to run but the back felt uncomfortable so I dropped it. Then moved to the Weights Area for Arms day. 4 sets of Bicep Curl Extensions of medium weight. 4 sets of Seated Dumbell Curls. Medium weight but performed with rep cadence. 4 sets of Preacher EZ Bar Curls with medium weight. 1 set of Hammer Curl. 4 sets Seated Calf raises Went to the CrossFit section for banded mobilization of the left hip joint. I do 1 long hold of banded pigeon position in which the stretch of the band is strong and I open my hip joint to the best extent possible. It is indeed a great hip-opening manoeuvre. Later I did the usual McGill Big 3 followed by Shoulder rehabs. Then I did 7 pull-ups on the fat bar. I finished off the workout with 2 good sets of Barbell Glute bridges on the same platform I mentioned earlier. I closed...

Daily Journal of Life 10.05.2023

Thought of the day We are becoming ever more conscious of our health owing to the never seen before health issues we are fighting. Many lifestyle diseases are plaguing us that we knowingly and unknowingly invite into our lives. It has become ever more important to monitor our health as we have little physical activity left in our lives made easier by technology. Most jobs are desk-based and only a margin of professions now need physical work. Technology has made our lives sedentary. Some people are truly conscious and track down their health stats regularly. It is said that below 40 years of age one can get a yearly or bi-yearly check-up done for general health. After 40 the check-up should be more frequent. I prefer getting a yearly Blood work done just to check if any tweaking around the diet is required. Also, it gives you a peep into the working of your organs and general health. It can alarm you if there is something abnormal that needs working on. There are plenty of marker...

Daily Journal of Life 04.05.2023

Thought of the Day Indian Customs is facing a challenge due to the erratic functioning of a newly introduced Electronic Cash Ledger Wallet in the ICEGATE portal. This portal facilitates the trade to make Customs Duty payments for their Imported goods and on Exported goods where ever applicable. The wallet was introduced to improvise on the existing system of reporting the Duty collection figure at the end of the day to RBI. The intent was to help the trade by giving a facility to use their wallets for ease of duty payment and for real-time duty reconciliation for the RBI. The wallet was launched after due deliberations, discussions, and User Acceptance Testing by the vendor team maintaining the portal. However, post its launch the ECL got marred by multiple issues. The payments got almost paralyzed and there became a huge pile of transactions stuck in the system due to either Bank Payment failures or issues of integration of the pay...