Skip to main content

The tragedy at the Mountain

 


On 04.10.2022, Tuesday, I received the shocking news of tragedy striking the Advance Mountaineering Course Sr. No. 172 of
Nehru Institute of Mountaineering. The whole batch of the course was hit by a ferocious avalanche as the batch was returning to Base camp after successfully summiting Mount Draupadi ka Danda-2. The event was the rarest of the rare accident hardly ever seen on that mountain.

            28 trainees of the course got stuck under the massive load of avalanche debris. 10 were declared dead in the initial rescue operations and the others were un-traceable till the end of the day. The news was devastating. I was myself a student of the Basic Mountaineering Course 6 months back and had planned to join this very course serial number 172 in NIM. I could hardly digest the tragedy. How could this happen to a course that prepares you for mountaineering? As soon as I heard the news I felt as if my Basic mountaineering Course has been lost in the tragedy. This could have happened to anyone of us. I could have been a part of this particular course had I not got transferred to my current posting.

            The tragedy has shaken me to the core. The love for mountains is ridden with extreme risks. The passion may take your life away in a flash. My heart goes out to the families who have lost their loved ones. They would have scars for the rest of their lives for no fault of theirs.

            Such is the character of the ruthless sport of mountaineering. The avalanche took away a thousand aspirations in a flash and then rested purposelessly on the bottom of the mountain. Such incidents question your desire to pursue this dangerous sport. Although the incident was an exception that led to the loss of so many lives, the occurrence of natural disasters such as avalanches, glacier block movements, rockfalls, and crevasses keep taking the lives of mountaineers.

            I would still climb mountains despite knowing the inherent risks. It is a selfish endeavor but the regret of not pursuing something close to my heart may haunt me in my old age. I have obligations towards my family, but I suppose they respect my choice. Even if death knocks my doors in the mountains, for reasons out of my control I would be a happy soul to leave this world. Mankind cannot progress if the adventurists choose to sit back home and scoff at the risks of going out into the unknown. The test of human character and grit would be meaningless unless one pushes oneself into the uncertainty. It is one life that we get. It is better to see your grandkids play than die for sure on mountains but the one who professes it should live through the joys of being on a mountain first and then question the passions of mountaineers."

For all the noble souls who passed away in this tragedy, Rest in Peace!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Journal of Life 27.04.23

  Habit Thoughts Exercise: My Religion Went to the Gym on cycle. Did 8 min walk on treadmill. Tried to run but the back felt uncomfortable so I dropped it. Then moved to the Weights Area for Arms day. 4 sets of Bicep Curl Extensions of medium weight. 4 sets of Seated Dumbell Curls. Medium weight but performed with rep cadence. 4 sets of Preacher EZ Bar Curls with medium weight. 1 set of Hammer Curl. 4 sets Seated Calf raises Went to the CrossFit section for banded mobilization of the left hip joint. I do 1 long hold of banded pigeon position in which the stretch of the band is strong and I open my hip joint to the best extent possible. It is indeed a great hip-opening manoeuvre. Later I did the usual McGill Big 3 followed by Shoulder rehabs. Then I did 7 pull-ups on the fat bar. I finished off the workout with 2 good sets of Barbell Glute bridges on the same platform I mentioned earlier. I closed...

Daily Journal of Life 10.05.2023

Thought of the day We are becoming ever more conscious of our health owing to the never seen before health issues we are fighting. Many lifestyle diseases are plaguing us that we knowingly and unknowingly invite into our lives. It has become ever more important to monitor our health as we have little physical activity left in our lives made easier by technology. Most jobs are desk-based and only a margin of professions now need physical work. Technology has made our lives sedentary. Some people are truly conscious and track down their health stats regularly. It is said that below 40 years of age one can get a yearly or bi-yearly check-up done for general health. After 40 the check-up should be more frequent. I prefer getting a yearly Blood work done just to check if any tweaking around the diet is required. Also, it gives you a peep into the working of your organs and general health. It can alarm you if there is something abnormal that needs working on. There are plenty of marker...

Daily Journal of Life 04.05.2023

Thought of the Day Indian Customs is facing a challenge due to the erratic functioning of a newly introduced Electronic Cash Ledger Wallet in the ICEGATE portal. This portal facilitates the trade to make Customs Duty payments for their Imported goods and on Exported goods where ever applicable. The wallet was introduced to improvise on the existing system of reporting the Duty collection figure at the end of the day to RBI. The intent was to help the trade by giving a facility to use their wallets for ease of duty payment and for real-time duty reconciliation for the RBI. The wallet was launched after due deliberations, discussions, and User Acceptance Testing by the vendor team maintaining the portal. However, post its launch the ECL got marred by multiple issues. The payments got almost paralyzed and there became a huge pile of transactions stuck in the system due to either Bank Payment failures or issues of integration of the pay...